Sunday 26 July 2009

Wake Up Call

Introducing MrMiracle

Today's posting links with its sister blog, 'missmiraclesdiary.blogspot.com' by introducing to you 'prometheus beautiful' in the form of MrMiracle.

When I thought of how I might introduce you to MrM I immediately thought of 'prometheus unbound' and checked out the reference, since I didn't have a clue why it was a ref that came to mind so instinctively, never having read Aschylus (or Shelley's variant). It still seems somehow relevantly connected.

On Friday MrMiracle visited me and during a walk, a large number of cups of tea and a game of chess we chatted about all kinds of things.

Two topics he raised had me fixated.

The first was that he has studied, in his own performance in a gym, the impact of positive and negative thinking and has demonstrated in the results of his tests palpable evidence in favour of the power of the mind in relation to the body.

The second was that some years ago he made a decision to tackle his resistance to some of his daily life challenges and chores by taking a stone cold bath for fifteen minutes a day. He set a time for the event and repeated it daily for about two months. I gained the impression that this one decision-into-action had impacted on his life in a way that no 'talking cure' could hope to do so reliably and quickly.

There was a third diamond that MrMiracle put on the table for me. This last was crafted especially for me. It followed my lament that my family are all too fond of calling me 'lazy' and that this simply upsets me and drags me down. He commented that he had no such perception of me at all. Then he paused. Then he said:
"What I do wonder, is whether you tend to do the things you enjoy doing and avoid doing things you don't enjoy. How much time do you spend doing things you don't want to do and don't enjoy doing?"

Oh dear me. Oh dear me.

As little as humanly possible was the truth, I realised, as his question made its way into my psyche with a devilishly uncomfortable register of an uncomfortable truth having been lit up for all to see (even me!)

It didn't take long to start to realise just how high a price I've been paying all my life for doing absolutely anything rather than bite the bullet to do things that I don't enjoy doing and wish someone else would do for me.

So guess what? Yesterday I began the discipline of cold water. In my case shower, not bath, 5 mins 10 seconds. Sounds lame by comparison with Mr Miracles endurance of three times longer sat in a stone cold bath.

Try it and let me know what you think. Use the comments box below for feedback.

I'll be back soon to tell you how it's impacting on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment